+ I'm a new advisor to BMUN. What are my first steps?
- If you have never attended Berkeley Model United Nations before, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to be part of the mailing list or click on this and submit a form to be added to the mailing list.
- An email response will then be sent confirming that you and your group have been subscribed to our mailing list.
- Information will then be disseminated through our mailings, including the date of when registration will open.
- On and after the date of opening registration, advisors will be able to register their teams. Complete and submit the requested information on our registration application, Huxley at huxley.bmun.org.
- Teams will then receive confirmation or notification of registration. After registering, advisors will receive an email invoice from QuickBooks accounting system to pay their deposit fee online. BMUN accepts all major credit cards and there are no additional credit card processing fees. Remember to keep a copy of all materials and checks sent to the conference organizers.
+ I'm a returning advisor to BMUN. What are my first steps?
- An email should have been sent out this summer asking to verify the contact information provided in our database. This is so we can keep up-to-date information on our schools to distribute our mailings to the appropriate people. Some things that may warrant updating include, but are not limited to: retiring of a faculty advisor, graduation of a student head delegate, and dissolving of an MUN program.
- After having sent verification of your group’s contact information, we should have sent an email response back confirming the update and edit of the appropriate information
- Information was then disseminated through our mailings, including the date of when registration will open.
- On and after the date of opening registration, advisors will be able to register their teams. Complete and submit the requested information on our registration application, Huxley.
- Groups will then receive confirmation or notification of registration. After registering, advisors will receive an email invoice from QuickBooks accounting system to pay their deposit fee online. BMUN accepts all major credit cards and there are no additional credit card processing fees. Remember to keep a copy of all materials and checks sent to the conference organizers.
+ How are country assignments handled?
The Secretariat of Berkeley Model United Nations works to emulate the spirit of the United Nations by giving each delegation an equal voice in committee. We do not believe that being assigned a P5 nation or another country deemed more powerful than others should give a delegation an advantage over another.
As such, BMUN conducts assignments on a first-come, first-served basis. This means that the sooner that a team submits its registration materials, the better its chances of being assigned a country/countries of its choice. That being said, if your school does not receive your top choice in assignments, we still have full faith that your delegates will be able to prepare and perform on an equal footing with any other delegation at BMUN.
When choosing the ten countries for your country preferences on Huxley, it may be helpful to consider some of these criteria for your team:
What would you like your group to learn from the experience? Which of the countries would help you to satisfy this learning experience?
How much of a challenge do each of the countries pose for your team?
How familiar are members of your team within the countries or region that you have chosen?
Are there any relations between the countries that you have chosen that could help foster research for the entire team?
After thoroughly narrowing your list of country preferences down to your ten and submitting your registration application, you will receive an automatic notification from us confirming your registration status. Please note that this does not mean that your country preferences have been finalized. Our team will be manually reviewing your team’s country preferences and the availability of spots left. Then, we will be releasing the first round of country assignments.
This year, the first round of country assignments will go out on November 14th. The second round will go out on December 5th. And the third round will go out on January 9th.
+ How do I make a change to my delegation or registration information?
After having submitted your registration application, you might come to realize that you need to change some aspects, such as your personal information, the number of delegates, country preferences, or choice(s) of specialized committees. This is absolutely no problem.
This year, we have updated Huxley so as to offer more usability on your side to make some manual changes immediately without having to go through us. Advisors can modify some of their registration information on their profile page, including the following:
- Advisor Information
- First name, last name
- School information
- Address, city, zip
- Primary Contact Information
- Name, email, phone
- Secondary Contact Information
- Name, email, phone
Furthermore, on the Delegates page, you can add your delegates’ names
And if need be, edit and delete delegates from the page too.
Lastly, now advisors can assign assignments to specific delegates on their assignments page after country assignments are given out, and finalize the assignment roster by the deadline on January 23rd. Please note that if you want to delete assignments, you must do this manually on Huxley, but after January 23rd, you must email email@example.com if you want to drop any assignments since editing your information will become locked on Huxley.
If you would like to submit any changes that are not available to do on your own in Huxley, then please email the USG of External Relations, Sita McGuire, at firstname.lastname@example.org with your requests. Please note that any changes made are an availability basis. As registration for BMUN is high in demand, there is the chance that you will be unable to obtain the changes you requested. However, we will be sure to effectively communicate any updates in a timely manner.
Any changes to delegation and registration cannot be submitted after January 23rd, our “Assignment Finalization” deadline. Furthermore, once all assignments are finalized, you are obligated to pay for your delegate fees, and after that you can only get partial refunds for delegate fees if you email email@example.com before February 6th. After February 6th, no refunds will be issued. To best serve your team, we encourage advisers to make known any concerns and questions as early as possible.
+ What are my first steps when arriving to Berkeley on conference weekend?
On the first day of conference, we will open up conference registration. The location and timings of the registration room will be disseminated through our future mailings. Please only have one or two members of your delegation present for the registration process, preferably the faculty advisor and Head Delegate, while the rest of your delegation waits at another location.
This is to streamline the registration process for everyone and so bottlenecking does not occur. Here is an idea of what conference registration will look like:
1 | Finance Check
First we will ask how many delegates you have brought. Then, we will confirm whether or not your balance has been cleared. If not, we will direct you to our finance table to complete your payment. Please note that we will not be issuing any refunds at conference. The last day for a partial refund will be February 6th. More information on refunds can be found here.
2 | Waivers
After having completed and confirmed payment, we will move onto delegate waivers. This year, we have updated Huxley so as to provide a way on your profile page for you to see if all of your waivers have been turned in before conference. Please note that all delegates must have waivers filled out in order to participate. If not all delegates have submitted a waiver by February 6th, then they will not be able to attend the conference.
3 | Emergency Contact Info
An adviser will be asked for the emergency contact information of an adult who can be contacted throughout conference weekend in case of an emergency. Please be prepared to provide this contact person’s name and phone number.
4 | Delegate materials
Finally, you will be given a folder with your team’s credentials and placards, delegate guides, and advisor schedule. Once you have left the room, please check that all the appropriate credentials and placards have been distributed. If there are any issues, you can go to the Pubs check table to get the issue resolved.
All of this information will be repeated again through our final mailing on February 20th.
+ Is there an advisor lounge during conference weekend?
Yes! Throughout conference weekend, the Advisor Lounge will be open for all advisors to freely utilize, with coffee and snacks provided. The location of this year’s Advisor Lounge will be distributed in one of our future mailings.
+ Are there advisor or head delegate meetings throughout conference weekend?
The BMUN Secretariat will be hosting an Advisor Meeting to receive feedback on how we can improve the conference for this and next year. All advisors are invited to share feedback from their delegates on specific committees, as this feedback will be shared with our secretariat immediately to improve delegates’ experiences during conference.
We also include a Head Delegate Meeting on the second day which allows head delegates to give advice for new clubs on forming their own teams. Students are highly encouraged to attend this meeting in order to learn more about building a successful MUN class.
While these meetings are not mandatory, we strongly suggest all advisors to attend the General Advisor Meeting to learn about the Berkeley Model United Nations program, our local Outreach sessions, and to offer feedback to help improve our future conferences.
+ How do I provide feedback after conference weekend?
Following the conference, two online evaluation forms of the conference and registration process will be sent out to the advisors of teams that participated in BMUN 65, one for advisors and one for the delegates
These surveys will be much more comprehensive evaluation forms than the one held during the Advisor Meeting, as this will immediately follow the end of conference, giving both advisers and delegates substantive time to reflect on the entirety of BMUN 65.
We encourage all our advisors and delegates to fill out the surveys, hoping they will serve as forums for you to provide anonymous, constructive feedback for us to continue to improve. In addition, we reward schools who submit the most feedback by waiving school fees for BMUN 66. Please be as honest as possible as your feedback will allow us to make important changes for next year. If you would like to send us any separate follow up feedback, please don't hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org.